Winter, ’tis the season of dry, cracked, chapped lips! Why do they get so dry? Well the most common reason is the weather and exposure to the elements like wind and UV rays.
The lips do not (hopefully!) have hair covering them to provide protection nor do they contain oil glands to give moisture. The skin of the lip area is similar to that of the eye, in that it is more delicate than the rest of the face and body, therefore it needs extra attention.
Some other reasons lips may get dry is:
- dehydration, so make sure you keep up your water intake
- or from digestive issues, you may notice that you have dry patches around the lip area
- or from allergies to beauty products that you are using. (You may notice that as much as you apply a lip-balm your lips are still dry!)
When choosing a lip balm be sure to always go as natural as possible or preferably organic. As a lip balm is on your lips remember that you ingest a small amount of the product from your fingers, licking your lips, drinking from you coffee cup, kissing etc. So this means you want to find one with NO:
- mineral oils such as petrolatum or paraffinum liquidum
- synthetic perfumes such as phthalates – sometimes you will just see ‘fragrance’ on the label, no no! (unless the product is certified organic)
- If the lip balm has an SPF, beware of the chemical sunscreen ingredients such as oxybenzone, mineral sunblocks such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are better for you.
- If you are vegan then you may also want to avoid beeswax and lanolin.
If your product has a lot of strange looking ingredients then you may want to do a quick ‘google’ and check out what those are! EWG’s Skin Deep is great website that has information about ‘suspicious’ ingredients.
Look for products that contain natural vegetable oils like coconut, olive, jojoba, apricot kernal etc. and essential oils, lavender, rose, geranium for example. These ingredients will actually nourish and help to heal the lips.
So here are my chosen 3 that I love to use! I find for me they work great 🙂
- Dr Hauschka – a cute little pot that fits everywhere!
- Sanoflore – French certified organic brand.
- Bio Beauté by Nuxe tinted lip balm – this comes in a neutral shade, a pale pink (Apricot) or this one which has a higher purple/pink colour density.
What are your favourite lip balms?